Keep up to date on the global economy and its impact on markets.
Q3 2019 | Capital Markets Outlook
We are shifting our tactical allocations as weaker data give us doubts about current earnings expectations.
- Retail sales increased 0.7% in July, the Census Bureau noted in an advance report.
- The Federal Reserve reported that industrial production slipped 0.2% in July.
- The Bureau of Labor Statistics found that both import and export prices rose 0.2% in July.
- The CPI and core CPI both rose 0.3% in July, the Bureau of Labor Statistics stated.
- Initial jobless claims rose by 9,000 to 220,000 in the week ended August 10, 2019, according to the Department of Labor.
- As of August 9, 2019, with 90% of S&P 500 Index companies reporting second-quarter earnings, 75% reported a positive EPS surprise and 57% reported a positive revenue surprise, according to FACTSET.
- The University of Michigan’s index of consumer sentiment dropped to 92.1 in August from 98.4 in July.
- The NFIB Small Business Optimism Index increased in July.