Keep up to date on the global economy and its impact on markets.
Q4 2019 | Capital Markets Outlook
As late-cycle signals grow louder, it's time for tactical caution across asset classes.
- The Institute for Supply Management reported that manufacturing contracted in September for the second straight month.
- Construction spending rose 0.1% in August, according to the Census Bureau.
- The trade deficit widened in August, the Census Bureau stated.
- Initial jobless claims rose by 4,000 to 219,000 in the week ended September 28, 2019, according to the Department of Labor.
- The U.S. added 136,000 jobs in September and the unemployment rate fell to 3.5%, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reported.
- As of September 3, 2019, of the 497 S&P 500 Index companies reporting second-quarter earnings, 366 — or 73.6% — beat analysts’ estimates, according to S&P Dow Jones Indices.
- The Conference Board’s Measure of CEO Confidence fell in the third quarter, reaching its lowest level since the first quarter of 2009.