Keep up to date on the global economy and its impact on markets.
Q1 2021 | Capital Markets Outlook
Amid a likely tug-of-war between positive and negative economic news, we favor investing with a flexible approach.
- Retail sales increased 5.3% in January, compared with December, the Census Bureau stated in an advance estimate.
- The Census Bureau found that housing starts dropped 6.0% in January, compared with December.
- The Producer Price Index for final demand increased 1.3% in January, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reported.
- The Federal Reserve noted that industrial production increased 0.9% in January.
- Initial jobless claims reached 861,000 in the week ended February 13, 2021, according to the Labor Department.
- As of February 11, 2021, of the 372 S&P 500 Index companies reporting fourth-quarter earnings, 293 beat analysts’ estimates, according to S&P Dow Jones Indices.
- The ZEW Indicator of Economic Sentiment for Germany increased in February.