Keep up to date on the global economy and its impact on markets.
Q1 2019 | Capital Markets Outlook
As the S&P 500 Index teetered on the verge of a bear market at year-end, we fielded numerous questions about the prospects for an impending recession.
- Existing home sales surged 11.8% in February, according to the National Association of Realtors.
- The Conference Board Leading Economic Index increased in February.
- Factory orders increased 0.1% in January, the Census Bureau stated.
- Durable goods orders rose 0.3% in January, the Census Bureau found.
- Initial jobless claims fell by 9,000 to 221,000 in the week ended March 16, according to the Labor Department.
- As of March 14, 2019, of the 500 S&P 500 Index companies reporting fourth-quarter earnings, 340 — or 68.0% — beat analysts’ expectations, according to S&P Dow Jones Indices.
- The ZEW Indicator of Economic Sentiment in Germany increased markedly in March.