Keep up to date on the global economy and its impact on markets.
Q1 2019 | Capital Markets Outlook
As the S&P 500 Index teetered on the verge of a bear market at year-end, we fielded numerous questions about the prospects for an impending recession.
- The Federal Reserve reported that consumer credit increased at an annual rate of 6.75% in November.
- The CPI fell 0.1% and core CPI rose 0.2% in December, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reported.
- Initial jobless claims declined by 17,000 to 216,000 in the week ended January 5, 2019, according to the Labor Department.
- According to FactSet, the estimated earnings growth rate for the S&P 500 Index for the fourth quarter is 11.4%.
- The NFIB Small Business Optimism Index declined slightly in December.